Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dreams

In the last week, I have had two dreams that involve Republican Vice Presidential nominee, Sarah Palin.
Both dreams have to do with an interview and a segment of debate.
I have written down as much of the details of these dreams as I could recall, for your amusement.
Following is the first installment:

INTERVIEW

Rachael Maddow MSNBC:
As we just saw in this video clip of you speaking at your church, you said that the American troops were on "a mission of God". Do you really believe that? And if so, why?

Governor Palin:
I believe that the effort of our brave soldiers to free the Iraqi people from a tyrant and totalitarian regime is a method that God can use to help open Iraqi society to more modern influences. Influences that can help the Iraqi people gain...

Rachael Maddow:
But how is that a mission from God?

Governor Palin:
I believe God wants all people to be free to live as they want to. Free to work where they want, go to school where they want, worship where ...

Rachael Maddow:
But the people of Iraq already have a religion. Isn't the intervention of the United States in their country forcing something on them that they do not want?

Governor Palin:
No. The only thing we forced on anyone was on the corrupt government of Saddam Hussein when we removed them from power. Now the Iraqi people are free to ...

Rachael Maddow:
Well, okay, back to the comments you made in your church. With such strong personal religious beliefs, do you believe in the separation of church and state?

Governor Palin:
Yes, I do. That is part of our history and it is part of our culture.

Rachael Maddow:
Well, some would argue that such strong personal religious beliefs could keep you from governing in a way that was equitable and fair to all people, especially those with beliefs different from yours. For instance, your anti-abortion stand limits the choices of women who become pregnant as the result of a rape.

Governor Palin:
I have a record as a mayor and a governor that demonstrates that I can work with all kinds of people and work for them as well. Taking a position in defense of the unborn is a moral choice that sometimes has difficult consequences. But the woman who has experienced a sexual assault, as traumatic as that is, is not facing certain death, just a few months of inconvenience. The baby, on the other hand, if facing certain death, if abortion is the ...

Rachael Maddow:
But, Governor, some would say that such strong positions on morality because of your personal religious beliefs forces those moral beliefs on many who may not accept those religious beliefs.

Governor Palin:
That would be true no matter what moral code was used to pattern our laws. But law, almost by definition, is a moral code. So there has to be some basis for our ...

Rachael Maddow:
But what do you say to the many people in America who do not agree with your religious beliefs and who do not agree with many of your political positions that are based on those beliefs?

Governor Palin:
I say to all Americans, you need to examine your choices before you, and choose the party and the ticket that will move this country beyond the business-as-usual pattern that has been in place for the last twenty years or so. I understand that not everyone will agree with me on every issue, but a presidency of John McCain will change how ...

Rachael Maddow:
But, Governor, don't you think that most Americans are uncomfortable with a candidate that has religious views that differ from their own?

Governor Palin:
I that depends on the candidate and the religion. I haven't found any opposition to my religion in Alaska when I ran for mayor or governor.

Rachael Maddow:
So are you saying that your strong religious beliefs will not affect your policy decisions?

Governor Palin:
No, I am not saying that. What good is personal religious beliefs if they have no effect on your day to day life? I am saying that my personal religious beliefs will guide me to make good policy decisions that will benefit the American people.

Rachael Maddow:
But, Governor, many Americans do not share your personal religious beliefs. Many of them are uncomfortable supporting a candidate with religious beliefs that are so different from theirs.

Governor Palin:
Are you suggesting that the only person suitable for public office is an atheist?

Rachael Maddow:
Of course not, I just ...

Governor Palin:
...Is the only value of religion to fill in a slot on a resume?

Rachael Maddow:
No, but, Governor ...

Governor Palin:
...Does the possibility of someone being offended by one's personal religious beliefs mean those beliefs must be ignored?

Rachael Maddow:
No, I am just asking you how you are going to address the concerns of many Americans who do not share your strong personal religious beliefs.

Governor Palin:
I am going to address those concerns by being consistent with my well-documented moral principles, and will govern with fairness and impartiality, just like I have as a mayor of a small town and I have as Governor of Alaska.

Rachael Maddow:
Well, moving on ....

..............................

More later....
.

No comments:

ON BEING A JANITOR

April 15 th of 2013 was my last year to work for HR Block. I disliked the corporate pressure to make us call customers to try to sel...