Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mo Pichas 2

Here are a few more pictures from my Oregon vacation this last Christmas/New Years.



The sun was playing peek-a-boo through the clouds and the changing patches of light and dark were tickling my photographer's eye.
So I took several shots of this area as the clouds and light changed.



The telephoto lens on my camera causes some interesting distortions of distance that can make a scene seem more "dramatic".
I like to play with this phenomenon, and since there is no wasted film with a digital camera.... I can now shoot with abandon.



And one more of the same area with slightly different light/cloud arrangements.



My sister saw this shot first (she has a very good photographer's eye) so, naturally, I had to copy her.
This reminds me of a postcard shot (which many of you are prolly too young to understand what a post card is and what its purpose is, so I will explain: back in the olden days - the early 1900's - not everyone had a camera-phone, or a camera, or could afford film, or knew how to even operate a camera, so businesses located at scenic/tourist places would sell post cards, a 5 x 7 piece of cardboard with a picture of the spot on one side and a place for a address and a short note on the back.).



Some of the rocks along the coast get worn away from the bottom up, by the water.
In some cases, the rock will be cut through completely to the top.
In these rare areas, the surging sea water will trap air in these small tunnels and push it up through the small holes in the top.
When this air is mixed with a little of the water, it causes a spay to blow out the top hole (sort of like a whale does).
Fortunately, the light was just right for me to catch one of these vent holes showing off for the tourists.

No comments:

ON BEING A JANITOR

April 15 th of 2013 was my last year to work for HR Block. I disliked the corporate pressure to make us call customers to try to sel...