Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I FOUND IT!

Pursuant to my previous post, I was looking for the "church of God" words to the tune of "Battle Hymn of the Republic".
Well - tah dah - I found them.

They were written by Brother D.S. Warner in 1885 or so.
It is titled "The Truth Is Marching On"

.........................................

On the mountain top of vision what a glory we behold!
Eighteen hundred years of victory are tinging earth with gold;
For the saints are overcoming with their testimony bold,
The truth is marching on.

Refrain: Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
The truth is marching on.


For the glory of the Father Jesus taught in Galilee,
And He preached the great salvation that delivers you and me;
And a million voices shout it out, “Redemption’s full and free,”
The truth is marching on.

Refrain

Eighteen hundred years of marching, eighteen hundred years of song,
While the Conqueror advances—lo, the time will not be long:
He shall soon appear in glory and shall overthrow the wrong,
Our God is marching on.

Refrain

Precious knowledge is increasing, evening light begins to glow,
With the trump of full salvation many running to and fro;
And the song of glory echoes, “Christ has washed us white as snow,”
All glory to His name!

Refrain

On the blissful heights of glory we will shout the battle o’er,
And in the golden city we will join the Conqueror,
And when the war is over, with the saints forevermore
We’ll crown Him with all praise

Refrain
......................................

Some of the verses are slightly different from what I remember singing when I was in the choir in Morgan City.
But at my age, I suspect the difference is in what I remember rather than what was written. ;)

No comments:

ON BEING A JANITOR

April 15 th of 2013 was my last year to work for HR Block. I disliked the corporate pressure to make us call customers to try to sel...