Saturday, August 18, 2007

Forty-three Minutes...

Forty-three minutes.
That was my time for the three point two miles I ran this morning.
Sadly slow, but completed without having to walk (except for a few seconds waiting for traffic on Old Madison Pike).

Since my work effort this week was less than last week, I tried the three mile route, and it proved to be within my ability.
This is not to say that I was asking for more with I got to my designated crack in the parking lot which passes for a finish line.
I was not.
I strongly wish there were more BB's in the gun for these adventures, but there are not.
As I have said here before, my job is not extremely taxing, physically, but it takes more out of me than I like.
Which means that there is less of me for “other” activities.
One of the things that I look forward to in retirement is being able to exercise as hard and as often as I want (four days a week or so).

The other good news from today's session – no whining.
No joints wanting to quit.
No tendon attachments announcing their displeasure with their task or its duration.
No side stitches (I have not ever had this problem).

The weather is still steamy; mid 70's at 6 AM with humidity at 70% to 90% (there was fog in the lowest place near the new power station – which all you home schoolers know equals 100% humidity).
This made for more difficult breathing (less efficient because there is more water in the air, so for every breath there is more water and less oxygen).
Even so, I did not feel “tired” until I was well into the last mile.
That was when I went into my accelerated breathing and stayed there for the rest of the run.
I hate it when I start that because it is proof that my body is pretty close to the end of it's ball of string.
And one thing I do not like to be reminded of is my mortality.
But all in all, it was a good run.
It is good to be running again.

The other “event” of this week is that I am planning to build another (!) desk.
I have decided to go back to my very first design with an “L” shaped corner design.
It is the pattern that I used for the unit that got me through college.
And the variation that followed.
My present design is a four-foot wide, one-sided plan built for my computer.
It has worked well, but I am finding that it is becoming more and more cluttered.
Soooo, I am going to go back to the old “L” plan with a shelf underneath and a double bookcase on top.
The bottom shelf on the bookcase will be raised to 22 inches to accommodate my skinny LCD monitor and CPU unit.
Anyway, you will see how it comes together in a month or two.
I will wait for the weather to cool off before I begin construction.
This also means that I will have TWO lovely, sturdy, slightly used desks available for some needy family in a month or two.
Requests are being considered, starting today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might be interested in one of the desks! We'll be needing another computer desk soon. So, if they're not all taken...just let me know!
Thanks!!
Amanda

ON BEING A JANITOR

April 15 th of 2013 was my last year to work for HR Block. I disliked the corporate pressure to make us call customers to try to sel...