Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Walked Again Today

I woke up at my usual 5 AM today, shaved the little hairs on my face and neck and dressed to walk.
I have started walking in the mornings.
Today I hit the street at 5:18.
It was dark and quiet.
No sound but the crickets and the distant sound of a few cars.
As I turned south, mid-way into my first mile, I heard a faint modulating roar far in the distance.
It was the sound of 50 young male voices hollering in unison at the nearby Army base.
They were probably doing their morning run.
What privileged company I keep.

My walking course is not the same as my running path was, although I cover some of the same territory.
This course is about a mile and a half long, but I am not sure as I have not measured the course with my car yet.
It may be a bit longer.
It takes me about 35 to 40 minutes to do the course, walking at a fast pace.
I finished today at 6:03.
Today was the fourth time I have walked this course.
I am getting used to the drill.

I am glad of that.
When I stopped running, I dreaded walking the same streets because I feared it would remind me of my running times and make me depressed.
Thankfully, that has not happened.
As I walk now, I am aware that some areas are where I used to run, but I do not feel badly.
This is good.
And part of me wants to start running again.
It would be so easy to just pick up the pace a little and start trotting.
I am certain that I will do it sometime.
Just to see how it feels.

No comments:

ON BEING A JANITOR

April 15 th of 2013 was my last year to work for HR Block. I disliked the corporate pressure to make us call customers to try to sel...