Monday, November 12, 2007

VETERANS DAY AND OTHER STUFF

VETERANS DAY

A special thank you to all Americans who are serving or have served in our military services.
And a very special thank you to those families who have lost a family member in service to our country.
I realize that no words can ease your pain and loss, but please know that I am aware of your sacrifice and that of your lost loved one.
Thank you for your sacrifice.

ON TO MORE TRIVIAL NEWS......

The run Saturday was productive if not fun.
I was tired from my increased efforts at work during the week.
The question in my mind was how well would I do in my little micro marathon.
I got a late start because I was piddling around the house with various mental distractions regarding my upcoming remodeling project.

My watch read 6:15 when I finally began my run.
I started out expecting to have a tough time of it, thankfully I was mostly disappointed.
I broke into accelerated breathing near the top of hill two and it took me a few minutes to settle back down to my usual breathing level.
This was not unexpected.
By mid-mile three, various little aches and pains were squeaking in my hips and knees, but nothing rose to the level of show stopper.

The last quarter mile was a difficult slog.
I felt like I was running through molasses.
By this time I was pleased to be almost done and was determined to gallop to the end as best I could.
The time proved to be about average – forty-one minutes.

Thanks to the change in the clocks, I had semi-daylight on the whole course.

Sunday morning at five-thirty AM, the eastern sky lit up the few cirrus clouds in brilliant shades of gold, purple, and pink.
It was hard to keep my eyes on my walking course (the street) and not on the sky.
By the time I arrived home, the sun was almost peeking over the mountains.

IN OTHER NEWS.....

I was driving home from church Sunday when an old song came on the radio.
I had not heard it in years (decades?)
I present the words below for your edification:


I was standing on the banks of the river (sic)
Looking out over life’s troubled sea
When I saw an ole ship that was sailing
Is that the ole ship of Zion I see?

Its hull was bent and battered
From the storms of life I could see
Waves were rough but that ole ship kept sailing
Is that the ole ship of Zion I see?

At the stern of the ship stood the captain
I could hear as he called out my name
“Get on board it’s the ole ship of Zion
It will never pass this way again.”

As I step on board I’ll be leaving
All my sorrows and heartaches behind
I’ll be safe with Jesus the captain
Sailing out on the ole ship of Zion.


I first heard this song by the Kingsmen quartet in the early(?) seventies.
I would like to get a copy now.

No comments:

ON BEING A JANITOR

April 15 th of 2013 was my last year to work for HR Block. I disliked the corporate pressure to make us call customers to try to sel...